Licensing

This work is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License. To view a copy of this license, visit http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/3.0/us/ or send a letter to Creative Commons, 171 Second Street, Suite 300, San Francisco, California, 94105, USA.

Tuesday, December 29, 2009

What's On Your List?

I need to do a Christmas update, and I will get to that perhaps tomorrow, but today i wanted to touch base with those of you out there who read. I've been trying to plan out some reading for the beginning of the new year. Maybe it's just the clean slate a new year gives us, but I like to start the year with a new book -- which usually leaves me reading frantically at the end of the year to finish what I'm currently reading, which this year is Polar Star by Martin Cruz Smith. In the new year I intend to read Red Square and Gorky Park, also by Smith . I think all three will be the start of a new bag of books to sell at Half Price. On Friday, however, I am planning to start Hot, Flat and Crowded by Thomas L. Friedman, and then will move onto his other four books: The World Is Flat, Longitudes and Attitudes, The Lexus and the Olive Tree, and From Beirut to Jerusalem. And since I got the new Dan Brown book for Christmas, I'll also read all five of his books this year. It's only a start, so far, but setting out books to read is kind of like making a pact with yourself to get through the list. So I ask anyone reading this, what's on your list?

7 comments:

Stubby said...

Hi dw! Mom read your post over my shoulder and she is blown away by your list. Her words "Wow! That's a lot of books!"

I don't read (yet) but Mom has a list on GoodReads. I don't think she's going to get through half of it because she is a slow reader and because she keeps adding books to her 'to be read' list.

Mom recently started reading "Angels and Ages - A Short Book about Darwin, Lincoln, and Modern Life". Let's see how long it takes her to finish it.

Stubby xoxo

Pee-s: If I could read I would probably read cookbooks because I love to eat.

dw said...

Stubby, I think you'd like cookbooks even though you can't read.....they usually have terrific pictures!

houndstooth said...

I plan to finish The Girl Who Played With Fire by Stieg Larsson, Pirate Latitudes is tempting me a bit, The Help is waiting and I'm sure there will be some bodice rippers thrown in for good measure! I got a nook for Christmas and I've become a reading fiend again!

Tweedles -- that's me said...

Hi Dw
Can you believe my mommy hardly reads nothing except bloggies and junk at work- (as she calls it)
But mama read and re read the same books over and over- Agatha Cristie books.
Me- well - i like Peter Rabbit.
love
tweedles

Hank said...

DW, honey.....now I don't read so good, but sometimes mom reads me the articles in her Dog Fancy magazine. Just the ones 'bout food, though. The other stuff bores me.

Oh, an' happy new year to yuh, honey!

Anonymous said...

I am not familiar with anything on your list except for dan brown. I guess i am a popfiction kinda girl lol. Or trashy romance novel.. you know.

I plan on reading the new: dan brown, steve berry (if you like dan brown, check out his stuff!), lee childs, robert crais.. i can't think of the others yet but i know there are more!

Happy reading!

Shelia said...

Hi dw,

May I suggest an author by the name of Sharyn McCrumb? She is an Appalachian writer and her Ballad Series is "good-readin'" as we would say here in Tennessee. There are 7 novels in the Series and my two favorites, although it is difficult to choose, are She Walks These Hills and The Songcatcher. I think you'd enjoy them, especially if you enjoy Appalachian culture. (By the way,we are NOT southerners here in East Tennessee:-)
Mister Bean's MaMaFigure