Licensing

This work is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License. To view a copy of this license, visit http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/3.0/us/ or send a letter to Creative Commons, 171 Second Street, Suite 300, San Francisco, California, 94105, USA.

Monday, November 4, 2013

Giving Thanks, the Fourth



Change is a part of life, yet many times we resist change.  We remember the 'good old days' when things were simpler and wish things didn't have to be so different.  But change will come, whether we like it or not.

Today I am thankful that I can embrace change, that I can allow differences into my life and be okay with it.  Whether it's a something major like moving house, or changing jobs or whether it's something smaller like changing grocery stores or taking a new route to work, change puts us outside our comfort zone for a while.  And that's a good thing; it's how we grow, how we learn.  Change means new or different experiences and with each new experience we find a new part of ourselves.

There are some things that we will carry with us throughout our lives.  For me, I've always been a sports fan and while it's not as central in my life as it used to be, it's something I still follow closely. But I've made major changes in my life that at first I was scared to make.  I didn't know what would happen, what would lie ahead.  Yet I took a leap of faith and made the change that would help me get closer to what I wanted.

It's not always easy to change.  We get comfortable, we don't want to be challenged.  And not all change is necessarily good.  But our society isn't the same as it was 100 years ago (1913), or 50 years ago (1963) or even 20 years ago (1993).   Change happens. And if we don't make at least some changes we will find ourselves run over by a change we are trying to resist.  I'm thankful that I have recognized the need for change, but that I've tried to do so with a discriminating eye and a knowledgeable mind, finding the change that is right for me.