Licensing

This work is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License. To view a copy of this license, visit http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/3.0/us/ or send a letter to Creative Commons, 171 Second Street, Suite 300, San Francisco, California, 94105, USA.

Saturday, November 2, 2013

Giving Thanks, the Second



November is a changing month - according to our weatherman, it's the month we lose the most in temperature.  It also seems as if we lose a lot in daylight, too.  The days are getting noticeably shorter and cooler and what leaves are still on the trees are falling soon.  It's a transitional month between autumn and winter, being the last month of meteorological autumn.  But like each transition to another season, it brings it's own special joy.

I have family in Florida and in Texas and in California and they think their weather is better than in Chicago.  It's not as cold, it's not as grey, it's not as snowy (and they remember to point out all the cars stuck on Lake Shore Drive a few years ago). But is their weather really 'better'? I guess it's a matter of perspective.

Each season brings difficulties, but each season brings joy.  To have sunny skies all the time (or most of the time), to expect that most every day is to become complacent.  When it's cold and nasty and the winter is rough and that first nice day of late winter/early spring comes along, there is a joy that others can't experience.  There is a time for everything, a time for every season, that makes a year whole.

Today, as we have a cool, rainy, grey, overcast day, I am thankful for the changing season.  I am thankful for the experiences they bring, both the fun ones and the challenging ones. They help me grow, they help me know our world even when it's not at its best.   To everything there is a season, and a time for every purpose under heaven.  I am thankful for each and every one.

1 comment:

Tweedles -- that's me said...

And I have always been thankful for you and all my friends,, and now
I come to thank you for all the love and caring and prayers that you have been sending to me while I have been sick. I am still fighting to get better.
Thank you too for all the love and prayers for my moms.
I do not have words to tell you how you have touched our hearts, Thank you for all the love .
forever
your tweedles